Making slime at home can be an enjoyable and engaging activity. It not only attracts kids, but adults too can enjoy the process. However, many of us visualize slime making as a chemical process where dangerous liquids ooze out from bottles. But, in reality, making water slime is fun and easy.
Scroll below if you want to know the recipe to make slime with water at home. Slime making is a big hit with kids as it stimulates their minds and also keeps them engaged.
Just by following some easy steps, you can get crystal clear slime at home. There are several methods to make water slime with non-toxic ingredients. We bring 4 different water slime recipes for you, which are simple, and the outcome is fun.
How To Make Water Slime With Liquid Starch
- 1 cup craft glue (e.g. Elmer’s glue)
- ½ cup of liquid starch
- ½ cup room temperature water
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring cup
- Glitter/Food color (optional)
Making water slime is a straightforward process. Get the ingredients mentioned above, and you will make excellent water slime.
- To begin with, combine glue and water in a mixing bowl. Stir it until a homogeneous mixture forms.
- Add any glitter or food color of your choice to the mixture. It is an optional step, and you can skip it if you do not wish to add glitter/food color.
- The last step is to add the liquid starch to the mixture. At this point, you need to continuously mix the ingredients until a thick consistency is achieved.
If the slime is too runny, add little starch to achieve a thick consistency. On the contrary, if you find the slime too thick, add water or glue to thin it out. If you want to make slime without glue, read below to find out how to make water slime without glue.
How To Make Water Slime Without Glue Or Borax
Glue is not the primary ingredient in water slime. And hence, you can do away with it. In the recipe mentioned below, we will tell you how to make jiggly water slime without using any glue.
- Pour the clear shampoo into a bowl. The shampoo should have a gel-like consistency. If you want water like slime, then choose a clear shampoo. However, any other color will do the same job.
- It is optional for you to add any food color of your choice. If you wish to add color, 1-2 drops will suffice.
- Now add the ½ cup water into the bowl and stir well. Keep stirring to get a thick consistency.
Wonderful! Your water and shampoo slime is ready in 3 simple steps. You can adjust the consistency as per your choice by adding water/ shampoo.
How To Make Water Slime With Cornstarch
Among many methods of making water slime, there is one recipe that only requires you to have cornstarch and water as the key ingredients. Let us how to make water slime with cornstarch.
- Take the mixing bowl and add cornstarch into it. Mix the cornstarch powder to break any lumps in it.
- Now start pouring warm water into the bowl, little by little, to achieve the desired consistency of the slime. Stir the water and cornstarch mixture thoroughly with a spoon to make it consistent. As you stir the mixture, it will start thickening.
- At this stage, you can add any food color of your choice to get colored slime. This is optional, and so you can choose to keep your slime crystal clear too.
- Once the mixture gets a perfect consistency, your slime is ready to play with.
How To Make Water Slime With Saline Solution
- ½ cup of school glue
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon of saline solution
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 mixing bowls
- Mix ½ cup of glue and ¼ cup of water in a bowl. Stir these 2 continuously until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Now add 1 ½ tablespoon of saline solution into the above mixture and set aside. (make sure the saline contains boric acid and sodium borate)
- In another bowl, add ½ teaspoon of baking soda and 1 cup of warm water. Stir this mixture till the baking soda dissolves completely.
- Lastly, combine the glue mixture and the baking soda mixture. Give it a few stirs, and you will see that the baking soda water activates the slime.
- Take out the slime and knead it to make it firm. The leftover baking soda water can be discarded.
Slime Safety Tips
Slimes should not be used for a very long time. If the slime gets dirty, immediately toss it out. Generally speaking, slime should be discarded after playing with it for a week.
Always remember to store the slime in airtight containers or Ziplock bags.
If you use borax to make slime at home, be extra cautious. If it gets inside the eyes, immediately rinse your eyes with lots of water.
In case of accidental ingestion of borax, you should seek medical help spontaneously.
Remember to wash your hands after making slime and also after playing with it.
When disposing of the slime, put it in the trash can. Putting it down the drain can lead to clogs and blockages.
Slime has become immensely popular among kids and adults in recent times. It is an excellent tool that teaches kids some of the basic science and chemistry concepts. Making it at home adds to more fun and excitement. It helps you to spend quality time with kids away from gadgets and screens. Slime is also known to drive away stress and anxiety among kids. With so many benefits, it is worthwhile to learn the recipe to make slime with water at home.