Slime is not only a toy for children but has also proved to be a great stress-reliever. Making slime at home ensures that it is safe to use and also saves money and time. And anyway, who isn’t a DIY enthusiast? Using a contact solution is one of the easiest ways to prepare slime at home. Not only is the contact solution a readily available ingredient, but it makes the slime more smooth and gives it a better texture. Here, we are about to tell you some of the easiest ways to prepare good-quality slime with contact lens solution.
Contact Solution Slime Recipe
Contact Solution Slime Ingredients
- PVA Glue -120ml: Elmer’s glue is recommended as it is tested and is of good quality. You may use clear glue if you want a clear slime or add color to it, or white glue for white slime. You may also use glitter glue for a glittery slime. But make sure that it is of good quality.
- Contact Lens Solution – 1 tablespoon: Make sure to use only the contact solution containing sodium borate and boric acid. Renu Fresh and Equate brands are preferred as they are tested to be suitable for making slime.
- Bicarbonate of Soda – ½ tablespoon: It helps to improve the texture of the slime.
- Shaving Cream – ½ cup: Use shaving cream only and not shaving gel, as that may make the slime runny.
- Water – 2 tablespoons: It helps in reducing the strength of the glue, making it easier to prepare a less sticky slime. It also makes the slime stretchier.
- Food Coloring – Optional: If you want to make colored slime, you can use any color of your choice. The quantity to be used depends upon how deep you want the color to be like if you want a blue slime, you should use blue food coloring. Also, it is better to use clear glue to bring out the color in a better manner.
- Glitter – Optional: If you want the slime to be shiny, you can use powdered glitter with clear glue. The quantity depends on how glistening you want the slime to be. More shiny requires more glitter and vice versa. Also, you may use glitter glue instead of powdered glitter for shiny slime.
- Large Mixing Bowl: There are no restrictions on the size of the bowl, but it should be big enough to fit all the ingredients with some space to spare for proper stirring. We will prefer using a glass bowl.
- Plastic Spoon: This is needed to stir the mixture. A disposable plastic spoon is recommended as glue and slime don’t get stuck easily to plastic.
How To Make It
- Add glue to the mixing bowl, followed by 2 tablespoons water. Then stir the mixture with the plastic spoon a few times.
- Add shaving cream and bicarbonate of soda, and stir the mixture again for some time.
- After this, you may add food coloring and glitter according to your preferences. If you want the slime to be less opaque, it is advised that you stir the mixture slowly.
- Now, you should add the contact solution slowly. Make sure that the contact solution you use has boric acid and sodium borate; otherwise, the slime will not work.
- You should be careful with the amount you need, as that may vary with the brands of ingredients you use. If you put more than the necessary amount, the slime will become hard.
- It’s better to start with a small amount of contact solution. Then stir the mixture thoroughly. If you feel that the slime is runny, then add more contact solution.
- Keep on stirring till the slime becomes less sticky. You can ascertain this by seeing if the slime sticks to the bowl’s sides. If not, you can take it out from the bowl.
- To make the slime more stretchy, you can add more water. If even after stirring for 3-5 minutes, the mixture is sticky, add more contact solution.
- The slime will not have the perfect texture from the very beginning. To make it softer and more stretchy, you should knead it with your hands and play with it for some time.
Some Useful Tips
- Store the slime in an airtight container (a jar made of plastic or glass) or a Ziploc bag. This makes the slime last longer, and also makes it easier for you to take it out.
- When using the slime, you may apply lotion or some kind of oil on your hands, to make it less sticky, without changing how stretchy it is.
- Use good-quality ingredients for better results. Use clear and transparent glue for colored and shiny slime.
- Stir the mixture slowly to make the colored slime translucent and vibrant.
Safety And Precautions
Surely wash your hands after playing with the slime.
Keep the slime away from your face, and if you have sensitive skin, wear plastic gloves while preparing the mixture. The chemicals in the ingredients may harm your skin.
Don’t ingest any of the ingredients used in the slime, as they have chemicals that may damage the body.
Make sure to be aware of the ingredients used in the glue and contact solution. If you are allergic to any of the ingredients, choose an alternative, as that may be harmful to your skin.
Children below 3 years of age should not play with the slime without adult supervision.
Homemade slime is a fantastic way to keep the children busy while helping them learn about states of matter and related concepts of science. It is also suitable for adults, as playing with slime can reduce a lot of stress.
The above article gives a basic recipe for preparing slime with a contact solution. You may use different kinds of glues for different effects, textures, and colors. For example, a glue that glows in the dark will give you a glow-in-the-dark slime. You can also use various colors and glitters to make the slime more attractive.