Making slime is fun until it ends up all over the kids clothes and you find yourself frantically searching “How To Get Slime Out Of Clothes!” This gooey toy keeps children entertained for hours, but can become a disaster after a spill.
DON’T PANIC, you just need to act quickly. You will need to get hold of the slime covered clothes while it is still wet (dried slime can get quite challenging).
Rest assured we have everything sorted for you. But you’ll have to take some precautions to stop the slime from getting all over the place.
- Wear an apron or old clothes
- Dispose of the slime pieces in a dustbin
- Don’t touch any other clothing or your hair while you have slime on your hands
If there is also slime on the carpet, here’s our guide to remove slime from carpet.
How To Remove Slime From Clothes
First, we need to scrape off as much slime as we can from the shirt/t-shirt. Then try removing it using the following methods.
Ice Cube Method
When the slime has dried up, this method can prove useful. It’s the safest and quickest method to get rid of the slime.
- Ice cubes
- Damp cloth
- A container
- Warm water
- A blow dryer
- Rub ice cubes on the slime until it softens.
- Gently scrub off the extra slime with the scrubber.
- Treat the area with laundry detergent.
- Soak the area in the plastic container filled with 2-3 gallons of warm water.
- Machine wash it separately.
- Blow-dry the area.
This method is only effective if the slime is not very old. If this method doesn’t work, try the following methods.
Using vinegar helps remove slime easily from your favorite shirt/t-shirt.
- Scrape off excess slime before applying vinegar to it.
- After scrubbing off, the parts left need to be treated by vinegar.
- Pour vinegar over the stubborn portion and let it sit for 5-7 minutes.
- Then, gently scrub the portion with a semi-sharp object until the remaining slime is removed.
Don’t scrub too hard; it might damage your shirt/t-shirt.
It might roughen the shirt/t-shirt if the fabric is delicate.
Rinsing With Dish Soap Method
If your shirt/t-shirt is made of delicate fabric, then adding vinegar might damage it. This method shall remove the slime from your clothing without damaging the fabric.
- Dawn dish soap
- Warm water
- Pour some amount of the dish soap with warm water on the slimy area and gently rub the cloth together.
- Scrub off the slime, which has now softened, using a scrubber.
- Machine wash or manual wash the shirt/t-shirt to remove the remaining slime.
Wash the shirt/t-shirt separately; we don’t want other clothes to get affected by the slime.
Acetone is an organic compound found in nail polish removers. It is useful for removing slimes made of glue.
- Cotton wool
- Dip the cotton wool into acetone and gently blot the stain.
- Pluck off the slime as it comes off.
- Machine wash/manually wash the garment.
This product can be harsh on some garments, which might cause some discoloration.
Using Slime-Removing Product
If the above methods didn’t help you, then you need something intense. We have got products that are worth your hard-earned dollars and which are effective.
- Apply the product and let it sink in for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Scrub off the slime gently.
- Wash the garment as per the instructions given in the product.
Avoid contact with eyes.
If swallowed, it may cause lung damage.
Repeated exposure to skin might cause irritation and cracks.
Don’t use naked flames/use it near hot surfaces.
- Mix this adhesive remover with some water and apply it to the slime.
- Let the solution sit on for 10 minutes.
- Scrub off the slime as it softens.
- Wash the garment as per the washing instructions written on the product.
Fatal if swallowed.
Might cause an allergic skin reaction.
It can cause a burning sensation if it gets into the eyes.
These were some methods of removing slime from your favorite clothes.
Kids aren’t going to stop playing with slime, and they are going to make a mess. It is up to us to minimize the mishaps from their playtime.
You should make sure to follow certain rules to prevent any troubles:
- Making kids wear aprons while they play with slime.
- Don’t let your child take slime into his/her room alone.
- Keep your child’s slime play in the kitchen as the accidents will be easier to deal with.
We recommend you to use the above-given methods with precaution to avoid any accidents.